Wednesday, May 29, 2002

Do not sleep in dumpster


[Posted by Noah:]



You can now play your old LucasArts games on Linux, DreamCast and WinCE. Not
every one works, but they've got an impressive list including the old
Monkey Island series, the Indiana Jones series, Full Throttle, Sam and Max,
and Day of the Tentacle. You still need
a copy of the game, naturally.



LucasArts wrote their games in a scripting language called SCUMM, and
the SourceForge ScummVM
project will let you play them. It's even under GPL. So dust off your
old games, or troll the
racks of someplace like Weird
Stuff
. This is the kind of thing that
the original companies would never get around to, and it makes me really
believe in free software.



2 comments:

  1. I own (legit) copies of Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, and Sam and Max, so I can't wait to try this out. This is especially true since my copy of Sam and Max has never been compatible with my (very standard) sound hardware, so I've never been able to play the thing. It'll be ironic if the free SCUMM implementation ends up letting me play Sam and Max for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I downloaded the windows version, and it does work with Sam and Max. Hehehe... If I try to run the CD directly from Windows, it won't work, but the open source emulator reading off the CD does. :)

    ReplyDelete