Monday, May 6, 2002

I'm moving to Peru.

I'm a big fan of open source software, and spend nearly all of my computing time in open source operating systems, using open source applications and development tools. It takes effort for me to suppress my anti-Microsoft feelings, though I recognize that much of the sentiment is unfounded, or is at least unduly influenced by the zealotry of open source proponents around me.


Despite my preference for existing open source software, I remain
skeptical of the applicability of the open source model to the industry at large. I'm always happy to see well-thought-out arguments in favor of open
source software in specific sectors, however, and (somewhat guiltily) always enjoy arguments which belittle Microsoft and its practices.


Today Slashdot posted a Peruvian Congressman's rebuttal to a Microsoft warning against open source in the government.
In addition to being a surprisingly cogent analysis of the real issues surrounding software freedom, the prose is just a pleasure to read. My compliments to the author and to the translator.



No comments:

Post a Comment