Sunday, June 2, 2002

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the holy water.


Jesus Fish.
Darwin Fish.
Pagan Fish.
Science Fish.
Though I don't feel the need to participate, I'm generally entertained
by the Fish Wars which
rage on bumpers across the country.


jesusshark


Today I saw an enormous decal spanning the rear window of someone's
truck. It showed a huge, furious, razor-toothed shark pursuing a little
Darwin fish which was scurrying away. I've seen Jesus-Eats-Darwin stickers before, and Darwin-Eats-Jesus stickers, but I'd never seen this kind.
It struck me as more than a little odd, since the message seems not to be "Christianity overcomes Atheism" or "Creationism overcomes Evolutionism", but rather, "Christianity is vicious and angry and will tear its enemies
apart."



At the risk of oversimplifying, I've always been under the impression that one of the central messages of Christianity is that anger and vengeance serve no purpose: "Love thy Enemy." While I'm not Christian, this message has always struck me as the most significant and profound aspect of the religion.
This decal seems inconsistent with that message.



Of course, it's always possible that this decal is an anti-Christian
sentiment. It's hard to tell. One Fish Wars arms dealer suggests [go down to the Shark emblem] that the Shark symbol is used by both sides, and that they (the arms dealers) are perfectly happy selling to both sides.



I'm confused in basically the same way as
these (fictional) youths.



No comments:

Post a Comment