Thursday, August 1, 2002

Yes, OJ Simpson jokes would be in poor taste.


As I drove to work this morning, the marquee-light-board sign on the side of the road (which sometimes mentions accidents or road work) said



AMBER ALERT

CALL CHP

WHT FORD BRONCO



LICENSE xxxxxxxx


My first thought was that "amber" referred to a terrorism Threat Condition, which was unsettling. When I got to work, though, I googled "amber alert" and it appears to be a kidnapping response system. Yikes.



After I saw the sign, I couldn't help noticing (and checking) every white SUV I saw. I wonder if accident rates go up while alerts are in progress, because of all the people craning their necks around, reading each others' license plates.



2 comments:

  1. Because 95% of all people driving in their cars listen to the radio, this is an extremely effective way of providing descriptions of the child, the kidnapper, vehicles or accomplices.
    95% of drivers? Seriously? That can't be right...

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, the kidnapping in question ended when police killed the perpetrator. It's the top story on CNN right now.

    ReplyDelete