Wednesday, September 25, 2002

My DSL is going to be sore in the morning.


Today's Slashdot article on pay-for-download music sites prompted me to check out emusic for the first time in a while. (Yes, I know the article was probably written specifically to dupe suckers like me. I'm comfortable with that.) I was surprised to find that, as the article suggests, emusic really does have a non-trivial inventory, unlimited downloads, and completely DRM-unencumbered mp3 files.



They do lack the major pop artists, though I'm willing to consider that a feature. Their techno selection isn't great, but their jazz and classical inventories make up for it (if you're into that sort of thing). In general, there's a lot of potential for exploration, if you're not hoping to stock up on specific bands you already know.



I tend to agree with the anti-DRM mantra, "Music companies are dinosaurs, and instead of fighting the Internet with legislation, they should embrace it with new business models." Even so, I haven't really taken part in any "new business models." Most of my music dollars go to the CD section of Borders, of all places.



Thus, today, I decided to Walk the proverbial Walk, and subscribed to emusic. My decision was clinched when I realized they carry a decent subset of the works of They Might Be Giants. Sure, I already own all their music, so it doesn't do me much good. But that's not the point. If the site carries the best Awkward Geek Rock band in all of Brooklyn, it's gotta be good, right?



No comments:

Post a Comment