Wednesday, January 1, 2003

May I never see another toolbar.


I'm now officially in love with Phoenix, one of the various browsers based on the Mozilla page-rendering engine "Gecko".



Why? Fullscreen mode + auto-hide toolbars + context-sensitive radial menus = one virtual desktop with nothing but web page, navigated via gestures. No toolbars, menus, or borders wasting screen real estate. No multiple browser windows (thanks to tabbed browsing, also hidden and navigable via gestures). No popups (thanks to, er, popup suppression.) Beautiful.



I decided long ago that having more than one window onscreen is overrated, and that toolbars are stupid. The screen should be devoted entirely to content, not application infrastructure, and definitely not to windows half-obscured
by other windows. Sadly, most apps--open source apps in particular--are careless with the number of windows they open. The Gimp, for example, is an interface nightmare. A new dialog excreted every few seconds, usually on top of the content you're working with. Blech. (And I say this as a diehard Gimp enthusiast.)



Phoenix is the first app I've seen in a while that's really compatible with my lifestyle. It makes me happy.



1 comment:

  1. I decided long ago that having more than one window onscreen is overrated, and that toolbars are stupid. The screen should be devoted entirely to content, not application infrastructure, and definitely not to windows half-obscured by other windows.
    It interesting, I've found myself struggling with the common problem of trying to cram more "stuff" on screen. The end result is that over the years I've increased my acceptable (read: tolerable) video resolution. I'm currently running at 1600x1200 both here at work and at home. I get particularly frustrated when I'm using my laptop and am then constrained to a paltry 1024x768. My high resolution preference combined with my penchant for small fonts has caused my coworkes to constantly utter "How can you read that?". Additionally, I rearrange the toolbars in IE such that everything fits onto a double height toolbar (includes regular menu options, most standard nav buttons, address bar, Google toolbar, and Yahoo! toolbar). I've also found that if I'm ever in a pinch for more screen space I can use WinXP's recent support for multiple monitors enabling me to have my desktop split between my 21" monitor and my laptop's LCD display.

    ReplyDelete