Saturday, March 1, 2003

Fred Rogers on fair use.


From Boing Boing, the late Fred Rogers on fair use, in his congressional testimony defending the VCR:



Very frankly, I am opposed to people being programmed by others. My whole approach in broadcasting has always been 'You are an important person just the way you are. You can make healthy decisions.' Maybe I'm going on too long, but I just feel that anything that allows a person to be more active in the control of his or her life, in a healthy way, is important.


Wow.



I went to school at CMU, which is a couple blocks from the studio where the Neighborhood was filmed, and we'd even hear of Mr Rogers sightings in our neighborhoods (Oakland and Shadyside) from time to time. It always felt good, knowing he was around.



What a great man. He will be missed.



1 comment:

  1. Sarah Lowe, the one I used to date, actually found his wife's wallet. She called her up to give it back, and there, out in the car... Yup, it was him.
    I just find that amusing.
    I actually have a couple of ex-girlfriend/Mister Rogers stories, come to think of it.

    ReplyDelete