Thursday, June 13, 2002

Electric brains.


A month or two ago, They Might Be Giants appeared on Conan O'Brien. They performed a freaky song called "Robot Parade", in which John Flansburgh's voice was altered to sound robotic. The audience did not get it, and halfway through the song, Flans just started rambling in the weird voice to Linnell about how the audience couldn't understand him.



Two days ago, the album with that song came out. It's called "No", and it's a kid's album. (It said this on the outside, but I didn't believe it.)While a couple songs are palatable, and most are cute, the whole thing is a bit much. There's even a disturbingly sincere song about not crossing the street "In the Middle" of the block.



The bad news is that this won't enter my regular listening rotation. The good news is that I've officially bought the first album of children's music for our unborn baby. Yay! Unintentional good parent points!



2 comments:

  1. If you're looking for more good music for the kid, consider the Animaniacs album, with the "states" and "countries" songs, among others. And of course the redo of the old "Great Big Universe" (and we're all really puny).
    But that's just a personal bias.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're looking for more good music for the kid, consider the Animaniacs album
    I actually already have that one, strangely. In high school I really liked the Animaniacs, and I bought the album for that reason. I haven't listened to it since then, but I remember the songs you mention, and also Schnitzelbank.

    ReplyDelete