Wednesday, December 25, 2002

Strike a pose. An evil pose.


Having received Star Wars : Episode II - Attack of the Clones on DVD for Christmas, my wife and I decided to go on a Star Wars fest. We watched I and II, and just now finished Episode IV, the first of the old-style films. As you'd expect, it's quaint and dated, particularly when viewed immediately after the modern installments. Still, it's worth viewing the old familiars again, because a lot of the vague historical references now make sense in the larger context.



As an added bonus, I noticed something I'd never seen before. This is significant, because I've watched Episodes IV, V, and VI dozens of times each. Like, lots of dozens.



On the Death Star, soon after destroying Alderaan, Vader is talking to Governon Tarkin. Tarkin is cheesed because Leia lied about Dantooine. And Vader says


I told you she would never consciously betray the Rebellion.



As he says this, Vader is just standing with his hands on the back of a chair. But soon after he finishes speaking, he raises one arm in a gesture of conviction. The gesture might have make sense while he was talking, but in the silence it just looks awkward.



Yay, editing mistake. That's the risk you run when you dub the voice of someone mellifluous over the body of someone tall.



1 comment:

  1. Having recently watched parts 1 and 2 of Back To The Future (which recently came out on DVD) I too noticed several mistakes. However, these were of continuity which is not surprising since the two movies were filmed 5 years apart. Also, I probably wouldn't have noticed them if I didn't watch them back to back.

    ReplyDelete